Monday, October 10, 2011

Summer Yard Update

This is what our grass looked like as it was coming in. I should have taken a picture about a month after this when the whole thing was covered in weeds up to my knees! We were getting worried thinking that our backyard was going to be a jungle. Even the lawn side got really long because our lawnmower was in the shop for 3 weeks. Luckily it all turned out awesome.
We LOVED growing a garden! This was about halfway. Again I should have taken an end result picture to show you how huge all of the plants ended up getting.

We had beets, peas (that the birds ate), 3 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of pumpkins, zuchini squash, crockneck squash, banan squash, honeydew, cantaloupe, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, pole beans, green peppers, anaheim peppers, onions, and strawberries.

Little Blaine and Daddy would go out everynight to water the garden. Little Blaine would pick the strawberries and cherry tomatoes and eat them every time. He learned to say pumpkin "punkin" and called almost everything in the garden pumpkins except for the strawberries which are called "shuwahs".

The grass is actually looking pretty good from here. By the end of the summer the lawn looked great right after we mowed it. We are still battling the weeds but by next year we should be good to go. I never want to move to a house without a yard ever again. Putting in one yard was plenty of work for us! We love that we have a big backyard though so that Little Blaine has a place to play and run around.


We've decided that we had WAY too much squash in our garden this year and won't be doing that again especially since we don't like it that much at all. We will definitely plant more cucmbers and another row of beans so that I can bottle them. I also want to do more with the tomatoes to get enough to bottle. We are going to try pumpkins again as well because as you will see in later posts we got 4 really big ones which we're pretty proud of. I'm hoping that next summer will be a little better for me not being pregnant so that I can help in the garden more.

No comments: