Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Always Listen

So I just wanted to share an experience that I had today with you all. (Be prepared...it's long)

Yesterday I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for the Relief Society meeting that I had last night. They took a good part of the day to make inbetween diaper changes, nap times, feeding times, etc. While I was busy inside baking and taking care of Blaine, there were guys outside cutting and trimming the trees around our apartments.
I took Blaine outside to get the mail and then we sat on the porch for a bit as I read my mail and Blaine ate his. While I was out there one of the tree guys started talking to me and asking me about my opinion about some of the branches he was thinking about cutting down. He commented on the baby and we shared some small talk and then I went inside to get the cookies out of the oven.
When I went inside, the thought came to me that I should take some cookies out to those people. Why should I take cookies to them? I don't even know them. They'd probably appreciate it. But they also might think I'm crazy. What the heck, I have a ton of cookies! (this is the conversation that I had with myself). So I bagged up some cookies and took them outside to these people. Oh I forgot to mention, these guys cutting down the trees were pretty rough guys-smoking, dirty, just not the kind of people that I'd hang out around. But they were grateful and loved the cookies.

This story is longer than I thought...but it has a good message so stick with me...

So today, I didn't really have any plans for the day. So I thought that after Blaine woke up from his nap I'd go take lunch to mom and Tiffany. I got all 4 bags ready to go (it takes a lot of preparation to go ANYWHERE with a baby!) and loaded them in the car. Then I came back in and grabbed Blaine and my cell phone, went out the door making sure to lock it behind me, and loaded the baby in the car. Just then I realize, I have just locked us out of the house and have no car keys to get anywhere! Yeah, good job Amber.
No worries, I'll just call my landlord and get a key. Not so easy, she's only 15 minutes from home but won't be able to get there for 2 hours! TWO hours!! Are you kidding me? I have places to be, things to do, it's cold outside and starting to rain! What a joke!
Panic set in, crying started. I had no idea what I was going to do. At least I had my baby with me. And then the thought occurs to me to ask the tree cutting guys if they know how to get into a locked house. Luckily they consented to help me. It didn't look so good. Why had I told Blaine to close our window this morning? Why had I locked the dead bolt ont he front door? Why do I not have a spare key? The first guy that tried to help me didn't know how. But he asked one of his friends and I heard him say "hey the nice lady that gave us cookies yesterday is locked out of her house. Can you help her get in?"
Luckily, one of the guys had worked for a locksmith before and knew how to break into houses (these guys seriously looked like they were the kind of guys that just break into houses but that's okay that's what I needed, right?) The guy climbed through my window and unlocked my door!
I was SO thankful for their help. I gave them another bag of cookies for helping me!

Moral of the story: follow the promptings of the spirit. I know without a shadow of a doubt that Heavenly Father is watching over me. I know that it was the Holy Ghost prompting me to take them some cookies yesterday. I know that I am prompted everyday to do things that I'm not even aware of the prompting but just did them. I am so thankful for the Holy Ghost and for my Heavenly Father's love for me.

No comments: